1 hr 45 mins
This is reputed to be the gingerbread recipe used by Mary Ball Washington, mother of George Washington.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mace
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rum or 1/4 cup Bourbon or 1/4 cup brandy or 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup orange juice (reserve rind before squeezing oranges)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9 pan with aluminum foil, making sure to cover the sides of the pan as well as the bottom. Butter the foil and set pan aside.
- 2Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- 3Cover the raisins with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain in a strainer, then spread on paper towels to dry.
- 4In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter until soft. Add sugar and beat to mix. Add molasses and honey and beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with bourbon and milk in one addition, and eggs and orange juice in the other addition.
- 5Dissolve baking soda in warm water and mix into the batter.
- 6Remove bowl from mixer and stir in grated orange rind and raisins.
- 7Turn into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 8Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- 9Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then cover pan with a cookie sheet, invert pan, remove pan, peel off foil, cover with large rack, and turn gingerbread so it finishes cooling right-side up.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mary Ball Washington's Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.4
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Sodium 184.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 4.3 g