Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is reputed to be the gingerbread recipe used by Mary Ball Washington, mother of George Washington.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mace
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup Bourbon or 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (reserve rind before squeezing oranges)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9 pan with aluminum foil, making sure to cover the sides of the pan as well as the bottom. Butter the foil and set pan aside.
- Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- Cover the raisins with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain in a strainer, then spread on paper towels to dry.
- In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter until soft. Add sugar and beat to mix. Add molasses and honey and beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with bourbon and milk in one addition, and eggs and orange juice in the other addition.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water and mix into the batter.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in grated orange rind and raisins.
- Turn into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then cover pan with a cookie sheet, invert pan, remove pan, peel off foil, cover with large rack, and turn gingerbread so it finishes cooling right-side up.