Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
George Washington's mother is credited with creating this dark, moist cake. It's flavored with molasses, cream sherry, ginger and other spices. This recipe is from the America's Best Recipes Cookbook; that Andrea scooped up at work for me.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, soft
- 1⁄2 cup fine packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup cream sherry
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground mace
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (105-115)
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105-115)
- Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer till creamy; gradually add sugar, beat well. Add honey, molasses and sherry, beat well. Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternate with milk, beginning and ending with four mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition till blended. Stir in orange juice, rind and raisins. dissolve soda in warm water; add to batter, stir well. Pour batter into greased 13x9x2 pan. Bake 350 for 40-45 minutes till toothpick tested comes out clean. cool in pan on wire rack.