Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This delicious recipe was shared with me by a dear friend of my parents, Mary Ann. This has been a staple "gift bread" for her that is well known among her friends as a delicious treat she frequently shares. It is a moist, rich, muffin-textured bread that has a lovely unusual flavor. Great as a sweet breakfast bread or at tea-time.
- Mix hot coffee, butter, and baking soda in bowl (the coffee should be hot enough to melt the butter).
- Once the butter has melted, stir the raisins into the mixture.
- Cover and let soak overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Cream eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a mixer.
- Blend in the liquid from the raisin bowl (but not the raisins yet - they'll get crushed in the mixer if you add them now).
- Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time scraping the sides as necessary.
- Finally, stir in the raisins.
- Spray cooking spray into 6 empty and cleaned 12 oz vegetable cans (green bean cans work well) - don't forget to take the label off too!
- Fill cans 2/3 full and set them on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours.