12 hrs 15 mins
Meghan Williams's Note:
This delicious recipe was shared with me by a dear friend of my parents, Mary Ann. This has been a staple "gift bread" for her that is well known among her friends as a delicious treat she frequently shares. It is a moist, rich, muffin-textured bread that has a lovely unusual flavor. Great as a sweet breakfast bread or at tea-time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix hot coffee, butter, and baking soda in bowl (the coffee should be hot enough to melt the butter).
- 2Once the butter has melted, stir the raisins into the mixture.
- 3Cover and let soak overnight.
- 4The next morning, preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 5Cream eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a mixer.
- 6Blend in the liquid from the raisin bowl (but not the raisins yet - they'll get crushed in the mixer if you add them now).
- 7Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time scraping the sides as necessary.
- 8Finally, stir in the raisins.
- 9Spray cooking spray into 6 empty and cleaned 12 oz vegetable cans (green bean cans work well) - don't forget to take the label off too!
- 10Fill cans 2/3 full and set them on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- 11Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mary Ann's Canned Brown (Raisin) Bread
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.8
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 432.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 44.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g