Recipe by talldoc
This recipe comes from an old church cookbook. I have made hundreds of loaves over the years for bake sales and friends.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat until blended.
- Beat in buttermilk.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until all flour is moist.
- Add bananas and any options.
- Put into two 8x4 loaf pans and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool for 15 minutes and turn out of pan onto cooling rack.