This recipe for Hoagie dip is the best one out there. The combination of these meats and cheeses with the spices makes it hands down a winner. I served it to guests and family and it was gone. Perfect for tailgates, Football parties, gatherings or anyday on a sandwich. You will think you are on the east coast of the US in a deli. I got it out of Food Network magazine October 2009 edition. Enjoy, I know we did! ChefDLH
- 1 medium onion
- 2 pickled pepperoncini peppers
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 large tomato, halved and seeded
- 1⁄4 lb deli-sliced genoa salami
- 1⁄4 lb deli-sliced ham
- 1⁄4 lb deli-sliced prosciutto
- 1⁄4 lb deli-sliced roast turkey
- 1⁄4 lb deli-sliced provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 round loaf Italian bread (bread bowl 10-12 inch)
- 8 hoagie rolls, cut into pieces, for dipping (or baguette)
- Chop the onion, pepperoncini, lettuce and tomato into bite-size pieces. Dice the meats and cheese.
- Combine the chopped vegetables, meats and cheese in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise, olive oil, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes and stir until everything is all mixed up and tasty.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Carve out the center of the bread loaf to make a bowl (don't cut through the bottom) and cut the scraps into bite-size pieces.
- Serve the hoagie dip in the bread bowl, with the extra bread and hoagie rolls to scoop it up. Yummers!