Recipe by Karyl Lee
Created for a class, I wanted a lacto- vegetarian stuffed portabello with complete small meal capability. This one goes in my cookbook!
- 4 large mushroom caps
- 1 cup almond meal (almond or brazil preferred, but any nut meal will work)
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers, assorted colors
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms or 6 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (non-brine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- sea salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stem and gills from the mushroom caps (use a spoon on the gills).
- Wash carefully and pat dry.
- Rub lightly with olive oil inside and out.
- Cover and set aside.
- Combine nut meal and flax seeds.
- In remaining olive oil, saute the garlic, button mushrooms, onion and peppers with the herbs.
- Continue until the peppers brighten and the onion softens.
- Combine the pepper mixture with the nutmeal combination.
- Add the crumbled cheese.
- Taste the blend and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the mixture.
- Set your oven to 375 F.
- On a perforated baking sheet or pan, with another pan to catch the drips, roast the mushrooms until they are tender and the cheese softens/melts.
- Remove to plate and serve.
- Possible garnishes: grated parmesan or romano cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, or black olive slices, or a combination.