Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great Summer Dish!
- 3 garlic cloves (cut half lengthwise, plus 2 cloves thinly sliced)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil (more for drizzling)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine (Juice of 1/2 a lemon, lemon reserved)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 24 mussels
- 1 lb calamari (cut into strips)
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat (jumbo lump)
- 2 lbs lobsters (steamed, chilled & cut in pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (roasted, peeled & julienned)
- 1 green bell pepper (roasted, peeled & julienned)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 chives
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- Heat broiler or grill. Toast bread slices for 1 minute on each side. Rub one side of each slice with half of a garlic clove. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add thinly sliced garlic, 1 cup white wine, 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, and mussels. Cover, and cook until they are completely open, 3 to 4 minutes. Strain, and allow mussels to cool. Remove from shells, and discard.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. In a 6-quart saucepan, bring 5 quarts of water to a boil with lemon juice and lemon half, the remaining 1/2 cup wine, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes. Plunge calamari into the boiling water and cook until just opaque, 25 to 45 seconds. Remove from water with a skimmer or slotted spoon; immediately plunge into ice-water bath to stop the cooking, and drain.
- In a large, nonreactive bowl, combine the seafood, peppers, the remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil, the red-wine vinegar, chives, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with pink peppercorns and garlic toasts.