Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of my all time favorite dishes that my mother would make for us every Sunday. Mom always made her famous Peach Cobbler for dessert and her home made breads with the best honey butter you have ever tasted. Our Sundays together were always my favorite time to spend with my family. I will never forget the way our kitchen smelled on Sundays.
- 3 -4 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) bag dry onion soup mix
- 1 large fresh onion (chopped)
- 8 -10 carrots (cleaned, peeled, cut into 3-4 pieces)
- 8 idaho potatoes (peeled, cut into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt & pepper
- Season both sides with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Flour the meat thoroughly using a mallet to pound the flour into the meat.
- Brown the meat in a frying pan. Put the meat in a cooking bag.
- Add water along the side of the beef (around 2 cups depending on the size of the beef).
- Add 2 tablespoons flour to the water.
- Add1/2 bag of dry onion soup mix (any brand will do) to the top of the meat.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Cook in oven for 2-2½ hours at 350°F.
- Open bag, add carrots and potatoes, then the rest of the dried onion soup mix.
- Close bag and cook for 1-1½ hours or until done.
- Drain some of the liquid into a small pot, and then thicken the liquid with a mixture of corn starch and water.
- Open the bag and cut the meat into serving portions.
- Serve the meat, carrots and potatoes on a plate and top with the meat gravy.
- You can also use this same recipe to cook Short Ribs of Beef.