Recipe by KathyP53
This is a really good dressing that goes equally well with poultry or beef. I use beef broth if I am serving with beef. It makes it perfect with rare roast beef!
- 2 (8 ounce) rustic-style Italian bread
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut bread into slices and cube. Spread bread out on baking sheets in single layers and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Butter shallow, 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add celery, onions, salt and pepper, and cook until just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- Add bread cubes to bowl and toss with mushroom mixture. Gently stir in broth and water. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Add eggs and gently combine.
- Spoon dressing into buttered baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.