Recipe by Sharlene~W
Macaroons with chopped almonds. I have had this recipe in my file for years. Try it drizzled with or bottoms dipped in melted chocolate. This cookie is my personal favorite!
Top Review by barbrwilliams55
Not exactly like my favorite macaroons at the Jersey Short but very tasty and quite easy. I used vanilla extract since I didn't have almond and used unsweetened coconut which made them just right.
- 2 2⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- candied cherry, halved (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in egg whites and almond extract.
- Stir in almonds; mix well.
- Drop from teaspoon onto baking sheets.
- Garnish with candied cherry halves, if desired.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheets immediately.