Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Macaroons with chopped almonds. I have had this recipe in my file for years. Try it drizzled with or bottoms dipped in melted chocolate. This cookie is my personal favorite!
- 2 2⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- candied cherry, halved (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in egg whites and almond extract.
- Stir in almonds; mix well.
- Drop from teaspoon onto baking sheets.
- Garnish with candied cherry halves, if desired.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheets immediately.
Not exactly like my favorite macaroons at the Jersey Short but very tasty and quite easy. I used vanilla extract since I didn't have almond and used unsweetened coconut which made them just right.