Recipe by Miss Annie
A vegetarian pasta dish. The chili and macaroni taste like "down home" cooking. Nice flavor and textures.
Top Review by Musical Joy
Terrific! I've been looking for some hearty vegetarian dishes and this did the trick. I make Macaroni goulash a lot and my family liked this better. Didn't miss the meat at all. I did as Annie suggested and made cornbread to accompany the dish. To the chili, I added some Hungarian paprika to spice it up a bit, and about 2 TBLS. ketchup. I only had a 14.5 oz. can of tomatoes, so I added 2 chopped fresh tomatoes and about one can of water. Thanks for the great recipe.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole corn, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni until al dente, about 6 minutes, and drain.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with warm cornbread if desired.