Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A vegetarian pasta dish. The chili and macaroni taste like "down home" cooking. Nice flavor and textures.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole corn, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook macaroni until al dente, about 6 minutes, and drain.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with warm cornbread if desired.
Terrific! I've been looking for some hearty vegetarian dishes and this did the trick. I make Macaroni goulash a lot and my family liked this better. Didn't miss the meat at all. I did as Annie suggested and made cornbread to accompany the dish. To the chili, I added some Hungarian paprika to spice it up a bit, and about 2 TBLS. ketchup. I only had a 14.5 oz. can of tomatoes, so I added 2 chopped fresh tomatoes and about one can of water. Thanks for the great recipe.
This was a great and hearty meal. The macaroni was a good contrast in texture. It will be added to our favorite recipies.
I thought it was Great,,and Filling also, I did add some shredded chedder "lite" cheese on the top of each serving..gave it a little more zing..