Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the most awesome Macaroni & Cheese that we have ever eaten. It is a family favorite and we have it once a week. All four of my kids request it often, and my husband thinks it's incredible. Hope you enjoy this comfort food.
- 1 lb macaroni (I prefer large elbows or medium shells)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine (I prefer butter)
- 2 cups milk (I use skim)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In same pot over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and whisk into melted butter until smooth.
- Simmer and stir until mixture thickens into a paste and is golden.
- Slowly add milk and whisk into butter mixture until smooth.
- Bring to boil and then simmer until thickened.
- There is no way to tell you how thick, except to say it should be thicker than gravy but not as thick as pudding.
- If you have made basic white sauce, you will know when it is thick enough.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until cheese starts to melt.
- Add macaroni and stir until coated.
- Pour into a 9 x 12 baking dish or 2 quart casserole.
- As an extra indulgence, you can sprinkle 4 oz more cheese on top.
- I only do this if I happen to buy a 12 oz bag or block instead of 8 oz.
- Bake about 20- 30 minutes, when you see top getting a bit crispy and brown.
Hi Karen: Made your YUMMIE Mac and Cheese dish this evening. It is Sooperb! I cut the ingredients in 1/2 as there are only two of us here. Didn't hurt a thing! Tis creamy, golden, and downright tasty! Thanks for another winner! Sincerely, Laudee C.
Great creamy mac & cheese!! This one is my family's new favorite!!
Really Good but too many noodles. We cut the noodles in half and were left with what we thought was a much better dish. Thanks for the recipe. It was just like what my Grandmother used to make.