This has been one of my favorite cookie recipes since I was a kid. I can't believe I forgot to post it on Zaar until now. I saw quite a few similar recipes when I searched, but none that were made as bar cookies. The original recipe was for drop cookies, but my mom adapted it long ago. These just melt in your mouth. Obviously, the serving size depends upon the size of your bars. I just happened to cut them into 32 pieces last night. Enjoy!
- Cream shortening, sugars, eggs and vanilla thoroughly.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients gradually to creamed mixture; mix well.
- Stir in about 2/3 cup M&Ms. Reserve remaining candy for decorating cookies.
- Spread batter in lightly greased jelly roll pan. Decorate top with remaining M&Ms (or as many of them as you desire).
- Bake at 375 degrees 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely; cut into bars.