Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is Mrs. Cowan's famous secret (well, not any longer, it isn't!) recipe for gingernuts.
Make and share this Martin's Mum's Gingernuts recipe from Food.com.
- Melt the butter and syrup and allow to cool slightly.
- Sift the dry ingredients thoroughly, add the egg and lastly the melted butter and syrup.
- Mix thoroughly, and then chill the dough until it is fairly stiff.
- Divide the mixture into pieces the size of a small walnut, place on a greased baking sheet and flatten very slightly.
- NOTE: Place them a few inches apart on the baking sheet (s) as they will expand during the baking process.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 175C/350F degrees.
- Store in a cookie tin at room temperature.
These are really yummy ginger cookies with a satisfying crunch. Just a couple of hints if you make these: put a LOT of space between each cookie (they spread a lot), and don't let them sit for very long on the cookie sheet, or they will really stick. This was my first recipe ever using golden syrup, and I wasn't disappointed. I got 72 big cookies out of this recipe. Thanks for posting!