Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I first had this dish at a function, I loved it, and the chef kindly gave me the recipe. He wasn't specific on quantities so I had to guess a bit when I made it, and I didn't feel mine was as nice as his, so feel free to play a little and adjust to your own taste!
- 2 small-medium butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and thinly sliced (or one large)
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cream (maybe less, see what you think)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Layer thinly-sliced butternut, apple and onion in oven dish. (I used a 13 x 9 dish).
- Mix together cream and garlic, add salt and pepper to taste, and pour over vegetables.
- Cover with foil and bake for +/- 30 minutes, until soft, remove foil and bake until brown on top, another five to ten minutes.
Our kind of food! This took longer to cook than 50 minutes so next time I would increase temperature. Wonder if butternut squash is different in other parts of world? Mine was in oven over an hour and still underdone but we were starving. Cut squash into 1/4 inch slices and also put the squash in oven fifteen minutes before adding rest of ingredients. Cut apple a bit thicker. I used half the cream but it disappeared into juice from apple. Doubled garlic. Made for my Spring PAC 2014 baby.