Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a classic where I live; you can get one in most snack bars and delis.
- 1⁄2 baguette (baguette parisienne or similar size)
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 4 anchovies
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 hard-boiled egg, in slices (optional)
- 4 slices gherkins (optional)
filet americain (use 2-3 ounces)
- 1 lb fatty pure beef mince (not lean or select a nice piece of fatty meat and have your butcher mince it for you , twice through)
- 1 small onions or 2 shallots
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon pickled capers
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil or 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- Let me start with the strange part . Américain préparé is what we call steak tartar here if you can't get it pre-made in a deli or butcher shop you can make it yourself easily, since no cooking is involved. I'll put the recipe here for 1 pound; you can divide the recipe according to need.
- 1 pound of fatty pure beef mince (not lean) or select a nice piece of fatty meat and have your butcher mince it for you (twice through the machine so it's very fine); 1 small onion or 2 shallots (finely chopped); 2 egg yolks; 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley; 1 teaspoon of chopped chives; 1 tablespoon of pickle capers; pepper and salt; 1/2 cup of peanut or sunflower oil.
- Stir the egg yolks with a whisk; gently poor the oil in while whisking in the same direction. Once the oil is in you should have something that's a bit like mayonnaise. Add a pinch of salt, a few turns of the pepper mill, the capers, the chives, the parsley and the onions. Now give it a stir with a spoon.
- Add the half pound of ground beef and mix it all in so you have a homogeneous mixture. This should make enough to make 5 sandwiches (or more). (Don't cook this--it's supposed to be raw).
- Ok , now we have the américain préparé. Let's start making martino's.
- Cut your baguette in half and then slice it open. Take out most of the inside of the bread since we want a crunchy sandwich.
- On the bottom part of the baguette spread a layer of américain 2-3 ounces.
- Cut your tomato slices in half so you have 4 parts per sandwich and put them on.
- (Optional) Add 4 slices of gherkin.
- In a small glass, mix up 2 parts ketchup for 1 part mustard, or 1 part ketchup for 1 part sweet mustard and put about 3-4 teaspoons worth lengthwise all over your sandwich.
- Cover the whole with lettuce.
- On the lettuce put 4 salted anchovies (the kind you put on pizzas (usually tinned) not sour pickled ones).
- Add a few drops of Tabasco sauce on top.
- (Optional) Add half a sliced, hard boiled egg on top of the anchovies.
- That's it, all done. This is one of my favorite sandwiches and was happy to share this recipe.
- Have a good meal. (Don't forget the feedback).