Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Food & Wine.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (13 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons aged rum
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- boiling water
- mint sprig, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Set eight 1/2-cup ramekins in a roasting pan.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil over moderately high heat; stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Boil without stirring until an amber caramel forms, 6 to 8 minutes. Immediately pour the caramel into the ramekins, swirling them to coat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the coconut milk, whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, rum, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the custard into the ramekins. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan to reach two-thirds of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the custards for about 50 minutes, or until set. Let cool in the water bath. Using paper towels, blot any coconut oil that has risen to the surface.
- When cool, run a thin knife around each flan. Invert each ramekin onto a dessert plate; let the caramel drizzle onto the plate. Garnish with mint and serve.