Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There's something about the combination of mushrooms and coconut milk that is really exciting. This is a mild, sweet dish that is great with plain white rice or noodles. It came from a West Indian cookbook I bought a friend more than 20 years ago.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, your choice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet, and brown chicken pieces (probably in batches).
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to skillet, and sauté until onion is tender.
- Return chicken to skillet. Add salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour in coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer for one hour.