Recipe by alligirl
'This great recipe for spicy-sweet chicken wings is courtesy of Suvir Saran and can be found in "American Masala." ' Taken from MarthaStewart .com and posted for ZWT. Time listed DOES NOT include time to marinate.
Top Review by gigimimiriri
These wings are scrumptious!! I've made two batches in 5 days. The first batch, while great, came out a bit too charred, but still tasted delicious. For the second batch, I tweaked the brush-on sauce a bit... added a half tsp extra of the garam masala spice and also added about 1/4 cup of Sweet Chili Sauce. The other thing I did was this: during the first baking time, I turned the wings once about 25 minutes through, then let them bake for another 15 minutes. Then when it was time to bake after brushing on the sauce, I turned the wings over after they started to brown (about 8 minutes), brushed on remaining sauce, then baked another 10 minutes. This prevented them from being too charred on one side, and also made them come out evenly browned. These will be in my regular rotation!
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lbs chicken wings, halved at joint (discard tips or save for stock)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- coarse sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons honey, oil, coarse salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Pour mixture into a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag and add chicken wings, turning to coat. Transfer to refrigerator and let marinate at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a wire rack. Arrange chicken wings in a single layer on rack. Transfer to oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons honey, remaining teaspoon garam masala, and vinegar. Remove wings from oven and brush with honey mixture. Return wings to oven and continue roasting until wings are slightly charred and crisp, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle wings with sea salt and let stand 5 minutes before serving.