SuzyQ in Seattle's Note:
I made this for Thanksgiving a few years back and it was a big hit! Great as leftovers, too. A good option for something a little different as a side dish. It came from a Martha Stewart Living magazine, although when looking in my collection, I couldn't find it again. It's also not on her web site, unfortunately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (1 lb) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 3 lbs assorted mushrooms, trimmed and cut in half, large ones should be quartered (white, cremini, shitake, etc.)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup coarse plain breadcrumbs, preferably homemade
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and just starting to brown - about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- 2Working in four batches, melt 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet; add one quarter of the mushrooms, tossing to coat evenly with butter. Cook until mushrooms have released their juices and most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with onions. Repeat process with remaining butter and mushrooms.
- 3Add heavy cream, 1/2 cup Parmesan, salt, and pepper to bowl; stir until combined. Return the mixture to skillet or transfer to a large baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over the top.
- 4Bake until bubbling and nicely golden on top, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Serve hot.
- 5This could probably be made up ahead of time and then refrigerated until needed. Adjust baking time accordingly.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha's Scalloped Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.3
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 605.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 12.9 g