Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Martha Stewart 'Great Parties'. Tomatillos are blanched to take away bitterness. Cooking time is chilling time. Posted for ZWT.
- 1 lb tomatillo, husks removed
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaf, roughly chopped
- 5 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Add tomatillos to boiling water; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until just soft. Drain. Let cool; chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Toss in bowl with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate several hours before serving.
- *Note* Salsa will keep refrigerated for 3 days.
What a terrific, very zesty, salsa verde! I followed this exactly only halving the recipe. A perfect balance of veggies, and I agree~blanching tomatillo first is right on target here. I made mine this morning, and served this afternoon ~ all the ingredients had set, and not one ingredient stood out, they were all so wonderfully combined. I cubed my tomatillos into little cubes and they had the nicest little crunch. Thank you for such a refreshing taste! Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* June 2009