1 hr 30 mins
From Martha Stewart. To dry the bread cubes, spread them on two rimmed baking sheets; leave them out (uncovered) overnight, or bake in a 300-degree oven for about 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking dish
- 2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 6 stalks celery, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs assorted mushrooms, trimmed and quartered (for uniform pieces)
- 2 loaves Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (1 pound total)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish for extra stuffing.
- 2Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions, celery, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 3Add mushrooms. Cover; cook until they release liquid, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover; cook, tossing occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool completely.
- 4Add bread, broth, parsley, and 3/4 cup water to bowl; toss well. Season with salt and pepper; mix in eggs.
- 5Place all stuffing in a buttered 9-by-13-inch (or other shallow 4-quart) baking dish.
- 6Put covered dish in oven. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha's Mushroom Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.1
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.5 mg
- Sodium 538.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium vegetable broth