Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a Martha Stewart recipe that was a hit with my dad who was married to an outstanding lemon pie maker, my mom.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place crust in 9" pie dish and line with aluminum foil; leave an overhang and fold over edge of crust. Fill crust with dried beans, pie weights, or uncooked rice. Place crust on a baking sheet; nake until set and lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Remove foil (and beans). Bake without foil, 5-10 minutes more; if crust bubbles up, press down gently. Cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, sour cream, and salt; gradually whisk in lemon juice. Pour mixture into crust. Place on a baking sheet; bake until barely set (center of pie will still wiggle slightly), 25-35 minutes. Cool completely.
- Make topping: Plac 2 tablespoons cold water in a small saucepan, and sprinkle with gelatin; let soften abot 5 minutes. Heat mixture over bery low heat, stirring, until gelatin dissolves. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream and sugar until very soft peaks form. While beating, slowly add geletin mixture, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, spread over cooled pie. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 1 houror, loosely covered up to 1 day.
It's difficult for me to believe that this recipe hadn't yet been made & reviewed anytime during the last 4 years ~ There are lemon lovers out there who are definitely missing out on one very, very tasty treat! This is definitely a keeper of a recipe, as it make for an absolutely delicious lemon pie, & over several days, I was happy to eat a little over half of it all by myself! Now I look forward to making it again for special company! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]