Recipe by alligirl
Need a spicy side dish? Look no further - Martha to the rescue! Taken from Martha Stewart Living October 2000 and posted for ZWT.
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 lb string bean, stem ends trimmed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger (approx. 1/2-inch piece)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add 1 teaspoon salt and string beans. Cook until bright green, about 3 minutes, and drain into a colander.
- Transfer to ice bath to stop cooking, drain again, and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over high heat, and add oil.
- When very hot, add mustard seeds, and cook until seeds begin to pop, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring until they begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ginger, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add reserved string beans, and cook, stirring until hot.
- Season with salt to taste.