Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from Martha Stewart .com and posted for ZWT. "In this Indian-inspired meal, cinnamon is sprinkled on chicken. Cumin and cilantro, other traditional Indian seasonings, are stirred into raita, a yogurt-based condiment."
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 whole chicken, cut-up (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3/4 pound)
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, mix 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cinnamon; sprinkle on the chicken.
- Put chicken, skin side down, on a broiler pan, and broil about 6 inches from the heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken, and broil until skin is crisp and brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together cucumber, yogurt, sour cream, cilantro, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken hot, with raita on the side.
I made this with a whole chicken on the BBQ rotisserie and boy, it's good! I was afraid of too much cinnamon flavour and had no idea how it would taste on chicken but it's a small amount and they work very well together. The raita's very good but I did make a couple of changes. I used an English cucumber so I didn't bother peeling or seeding it. After I grated it, I squeezed the heck out of it so the mixture wouldn't be so runny. The was delicious with carrots and naan bread that was heated up on the BBQ. Made for ZWT8. Thanks alligirl! :)