Recipe by Scandigirl
This wonderful Christmas cake recipe was given to me by my good friend Martha in British Columbia in 1975 after a wonderful Christmas Buffet party at her house. She gave me all the recipes for the whole buffet with a big smile, as she knew I was a happy cook. We shared many wonderful recipes over the 11 years we lived there. The Recipe came from her very English grandmother from Quebec.
- 10 ounces butter
- 10 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 lemons, rind grated
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (allspice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs currants
- 3⁄4 lb sultana
- 3⁄4 lb raisins
- 4 ounces blanced almonds, chopped
- 4 ounces chopped mixed candied peel
- 4 ounces chopped glace cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar with molasses and lemon rinds.
- Beat until mixture is soft and light.
- Whisk eggs and liquid and gradually beat into creamed butter mixture, adding little sieved flour if curdling shows.
- Mix in fruit with flour- gently but not overmixing and add spices.
- Pour into buttered cake tin.
- Bake in oven at 325-350 degrees F.
- for 1-1/4 hours then lower oven to 300 degrees for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Allow to cool in tin.
- Tip out.
- Baste in sherry.
- Wrap in foil.
- Age well!