Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy to prepare and delicious appetizer -or- side dish! Wonderful to bring to potlucks or for your Cinco de Mayo celebration. Recipe is from my son-in-law's mom, Martha. Enjoy!
- 1 (16 ounce) canortega whole green chilies, drained
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until fluffy; add yolks and continue to beat for 3 minutes.
- In an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish, put a layer of green chiles. Put one layer of jack cheese; continue putting one layer of each until you reach the rim of pan. Pour egg over last layer.
- Bake in 325 d F oven for 1 hour.
- Let cool to room temp, then cut and serve.
- Makes @ 6 servings.
We made this for our mexican potlock today at work. This got a 5+ star rating. It only lasted 10 minutes. The only change was adding black pepper and chili powder to the top. This is a keeper!