Recipe by Kiwiwife
I saw this on Martha Stewarts show and it looked awesome. I am posting before I make it to get nutritional info!UPDATE: I made this and it was awesome! I didn't take a picture because I took it to a dinner for the 2nd half cooking! The endive was succulent! I would make this again for sure!
Top Review by Elmotoo
omg we loved this loved this loved this!! my endives were really small so i used about 6. they turned to nothing. perhaps put them on top of the cauliflower? maybe the bigger ones don't disappear? I used super sharp cheddar instead of gruyere. we gobbled this up in record time & i could eat another tray of it right now! made for...Pool Party Tag 5/10! Thank you!
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, plus more
- unsalted butter, for dish
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut lengthwise into sixths
- 1 cup israeli couscous (large pearl)
- 2 large heads cauliflower, cut into florets (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh marjoram or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups finely grated gruyere cheese (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°, with rack in lower third.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart, deep, wide oven proof dish.
- Put endive in bottom of dish.
- Arrange pasta or couscous over endive.
- Top with cauliflower.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk; cook, whisking, until mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in marjoram, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Whisk in Gruyère until smooth.
- Pour over cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Set dish on a baking sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Reduce temperature to 350°; bake until cauliflower is tender, about 40 minutes. (If browning too quickly, tent with foil.)
- Transfer to a wire rack; let cool 10 minutes before serving.