Recipe by Steph_40135
From Everyday Food, Oct 2006. Crock pot instructions follow oven instructions. I made this for the first time yesterday (Oct 16 07) and found, though good, it needed more. I'm thinking gravy thickener next time. Easy recipe to adapt to your liking, for sure. :)
- 3 lbs beef chuck, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb small white potatoes, well scrubbed, halved if large
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a Dutch oven (5 quart) with a tight fitting lid, combine beef, tomato paste, vinegar, and flour; season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven, cook until meat is fork tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves and,if desired, season with salt and pepper before serving.
- CROCKPOT/SLOW COOKER METHOD: Place beef in a 5-quart slow cooker. Distribute tomato paste, vinegar, and flour over beef; season generously with salt and pepper. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and bay leaves. Cover slow cooker; cook on high until beef is fork-tender, about 5 hours (or cook on low heat 8 hours).