Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another treasured recipe from our gourmet group. A simple dish with a wonderful combination of flavors that became a favorite of many presidential families including FDR and Dwight and Mamie Eisenhower.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, mashed
- 1 fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 dashes hot sauce
- white pepper
- Combine butter, flour, eggs and lemon rind.
- Bring milk to a boil, remove pan from heat and stir in egg mixture, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add crabmeat to milk mixture, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add sherry, worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
We did like this recipe but felt it was lacking something in flavor. We tried adding some sauted onion and extra lemon juice and zest and it helped but felt it still needed something more - maybe next time (and we will try it again) we'll add some potatoes or maybe a little bacon.