Recipe by MamaCoop
This Greek-style dish can be assembled and then frozen for up to three months. When you're ready to bake, it can go straight from the freezer into the oven. To assemble the pie, press the spinach mixture into the pans, making even layers; then cover the filling completely with phyllo dough slices.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was very simple to put together except for the phyllo pastry sheets which I don't have a lot of experience with. I cut this way back to make 1 pie and decreased the spinach to 16 oz which was plenty for 1 pie (at least for us) I also cut way back on the feta cheese as was not sure DH would like it or not. I can see where you could change this recipe up to suit what ever you were in the mood for Use of different cheeses or add some bacon. But we enjoyed it just like it was. thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2014
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- coarse salt and pepper
- 6 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Step 1.
- Make the filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until garlic is tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 2.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in spinach, feta, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, dill, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Fold in eggs until combined.
- Step 3.
- Divide mixture evenly between two 9-inch springform pans or two 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plates; press firmly to flatten.
- Step 4.
- Make the topping: In a large bowl, gently toss sliced phyllo to separate, then toss with remaining 1/2 cup oil until coated.
- Step 5.
- Divide phyllo between pies, covering the tops evenly and completely. (To freeze, cover pies tightly with plastic wrap, being careful not to flatten topping. Bake within 3 months; do not thaw first.).
- Step 6.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until heated through and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour 15 minutes for frozen pie (30 minutes for unfrozen pie).