Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Martha says this is a "novel way to serve soup".
Make and share this Martha Stewart's Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 cups pared pumpkin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a covered saucepan, heat the stock, cubed pumpkin, onion, garlic, salt, thyme, and peppercorns to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the pumpkin with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- Simmer remaining pumpkin mixture, uncovered, 20 minutes longer; transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut the top off the sugar pumpkin and remove the seeds.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes; set aside in a warm spot.
- Puree 2 cups of the pumpkin mixture in a blender or food processor; return pureed mixture to the pot.
- Repeat with remaining pumpkin mixture.
- Heat pureed mixture to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir warm cream and reserved pumpkin into soup.
- Place the warmed sugar pumpkin on a platter; ladle the soup in and garnish with parsley.
- Serve hot.
I hope they Serve this recipe in Prison, Cuz Martha Stewart will be there for a while. :)
This is really fantastic and today is the second time I'm making it for company. I took the advice to serve it in individual 'mini' pumpkins. To really top it off, I cored and roasted the mini pumpkins first to give the feel and look that the soup is supposed to be in there. FANTASTIC! Thanks for posting!
I LOVE this recipe! It really looks chic. I used smaller pumpkins from my garden and made individual serving bowls by cutting them in half. I cut a thin slice from bottom of "bowls," so that they would set flat on the table.