Recipe by ltlmishu
I make this recipe every year for Christmas. Definitely a family favorite and one of my most requested recipes. (*Note - prep time is estimated and does not include chill time)
Top Review by aloha808
These are a little more time consuming than the recipes I typically choose to make but well worth it for a special occasion! I've been making them since I first saw the recipe published in one of Martha's special holiday cookie magazines several years back - perfect for gift-giving!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups light-brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, vegetable shortening, granulated sugar and 1 cup brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until fully combined between additions. Add vanilla; beat to combine. Gradually add dry ingredients; mix on low speed until fully combined. Add chocolate chips; mix on low just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; chill until firm about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl using a rubber spatula, stir together peanut butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of dough at a time onto baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart. Make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie. Fill thumbprint with 2 teaspoons peanut butter mixture. Top with a second tablespoon of flattened dough. Carefully mold dough to cover "surprise.".
- Bake until firm, about 12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets, and let cool completely on wire racks.