Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my favorite pie crust. I have yet to make it right, with all cold ingredients, so if you don't have time to chill the flour etc, it will be fine. I also have never made this in my food processor-- just with my good old pastry blender and a bowl. I have used this for both sweet and savory dishes. Work time includes 1 hour chill time (I do not always do this either...)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup ice water
- Secrets to a good pie crust: chilled ingredients and chilled dough. Margarine or shortening can be used instead of butter (but butter is my favorite!).
- Put flour, salt and sugar in a bowl, blender or food processor. Add the pieces of butter and process approximately 10 seconds or until it resembles "coarse meal.".
- Add ice water drop by drop while machine is running (or you are mixing)--- just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky. Do not mix longer than 30 seconds.
- Roll dough out on a piece of plastic wrap. Press down slightly. Chill for at least one hour.
My favorite as well :-) I never buy crust pre-made anymore now that I have found this perfect recipe. Gets rave reviews every time I bake a pie. You can put anything in it and it tastes amazing.