1 hr 15 mins
I am the first to admit that this is quite a bit of work. But for those of you who, like me, can't find the frozen bread dough or instant puddings that are so often called for in other monkey bread recipes, then this one's for you. Also good for purists. Cooking time doesn't include rising or cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 3 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cups firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1Lightly coat a 10-inch Bundt pan and a medium bowl with (extra) shortening and set aside. Place warm water and a pinch of sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle with yeast, stir and leave to dissolve 5 minutes.
- 2Place shortening, milk, sugar, salt and egg in another bowl. Add yeast mixture to shortening mixture and beat with electric mixture fitted with dough hook until combined.
- 3Slowly add flour, then knead with dough hook 1 minute. Transfer dough to greased bowl and leave to rise, covered with cling film, 20 minutes.
- 4For brown sugar coating, place melted butter in a bowl. In another bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Sprinkle Tbsp of this mixture into prepared Bundt pan.
- 5Cut dough into 1/2 inch pieces. Roll into balls. Coat dough balls in butter, then sugar mixture and place in prepared Bundt pan until all dough is used up. Cover with cling film and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 30-35 minutes. Leave to cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert onto serving plate and cool 20 minutes more.
- 7For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk and icing sugar and stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread, to serve.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha Stewart's Monkey Bread
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1107.0
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 394.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 213.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 154.8 g
- Protein 12.5 g