- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped (I skipped the chopping part)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (fresh only!)
- fresh ground black pepper (I used white pepper)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add a generous amount of salt; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 15 minutes.
- Drain; place the potatoes back in the pot and using a potato masher or potato ricer, mash potatoes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 5 tablespoons butter, milk, lemon juice, zest, and capers.
- Heat until butter is melted and the mixture is warm to the touch.
- Fold the milk mixture and parsley into the mashed potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Dot with remaining tablespoon butter just before serving.