Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I have made this many times and love it! A great cornmeal recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal, plus
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 9X5-inch loaf pan. Dust with sugar and flour, tapping out excess; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, whish together flour, cornmeal, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and lemon juice.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Beat until just combined, scraping bowl as needed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until center is springy to the touch, about 55 minutes; drape with foil if top browns to quickly. Let cool 10 minutes in pan; invert cake onto a wire rack. reinvert and cool completely.