Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from MS Living November 2008
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- Place potatoes and 2 Tbls of salt in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat cream, milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until butter melts.
- Drain potatoes and press through a ricer. (or use masher until smooth). Pour warmed cream mixture over potatoes in a slow steady stream and stir until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately or keep warm in a covered bowl over simmering water for up to 2 hours.
Martha Stewart has great recipes. And this recipe is great. The mashed potatoes turned out so good. Great flavor. Thanks Cooks4_6 :) Made for PAC Spring 2012
This was indeed the perfect mashed potato recipe!! They were decadant, the perfect texture, and deliciously buttery. I always have added sour cream, chives, etc. into my mashed potatoes and they never tasted as good as these...perfect for topping with gravy!
We used fat free half & half along with 2% milk, and of course Yukon Gold potatoes. They are our favorites with reds taking a close 2nd. This recipe calls for ricing the potatoes, but we just beat them up in the mixer, and we still got the most super delicious mashed potatoes. It's great to heat the milks and butter, as it keeps the potatoes hot for serving. A definite keeper recipe, thanks for posting. :)