Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Saw this on the Today Show. YUM!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 with rack in the center.
- Sift together onto a piece of parchment paper, 3/4 cup sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add grated chocolate; set aside.
- With electric mixer beat egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.
- While still beating add remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in a slow steady stream until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts; beat to combine.
- Now using a regular mixing spoon, gradually add flour mixture, gently but thoroughly, folding into egg white mixture until fully combined.
- Pour into a 10 inch non-stick angel food cake pan.
- Tap pan on counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake until cake springs back when depressed with a finger, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool, inverted, 1 hour before removing pan.
- Serve with Chocolate Hazelnut Anglaise.