97 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
All my family can say is Yummy! I left out the mushrooms as my family doesn't like them but Martha included roasted mushrooms in her recipe. It takes some time but is well worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch chunks, patted dry
- coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1In a 6-8 quart saucepan with tightly fitted lid, cook bacon uncovered over medium-low heat, until browned, 10-15 minutes. With slotted spoon transfer bacon to paper towel to drain. Set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
- 2Season beef generously with salt and pepper. In large bowl, dredge beef in flour, shaking off the excess. Raise heat to medium. Working in 2 batches, brown beef in bacon fat on all sides, without crowding, about 10 minutes per batch. Transfer each batch to a bowl.
- 3Pour water into pan and bring to boil. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits, until liquid has reduced to a few tablespons, about 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until sightly softened, 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook one minute.
- 5Add carrots, meat with juices, wine, thyme and reserved bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender but not falling apart, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- 6Skim fat off surface of stew and discard. Serve or refrigerate covered, overnight.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha Stewart's Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 697.1
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 146.5 mg
- Sodium 303.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 39.6 g