1/1 Photo of Martha Stewart's Bearnaise Sauce
Grace Lynn's Note:
I got this from Foodnetwork and have made it several times. It is the best Bearnaise Sauce recipe I have ever made!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, more if desired
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon leaf
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2-3/4 cup unsalted butter, very soft (I've always used 1 1/2 sticks)
- coarse salt
- pepper, if desired
- lemon juice, if desired
- 1Combine vinegar, wine, shallots, black pepper, and 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon in a small saucepan.
- 2Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1 tablespoon, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Add egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of water to reduced vinegar mixture.
- 4Whisk until thick and pale, about 2 minutes.
- 5Set pan over moderately low heat and continue to whisk at reasonable speed reaching all over bottom and insides of pan, where eggs tend to overcook.
- 6To moderate heat, frequently move pan off burner for a few seconds, then back on.
- 7As they cook, the eggs will become frothy and increase in volume, then thicken.
- 8When the bottom of the pan is visible in the streaks left by the whisk and the eggs are thick and smooth, remove from heat.
- 9By spoonfuls, add soft butter, whisking constantly to incorporate each addition.
- 10As the emulsion forms, add butter in slightly larger amounts, always whisking until fully absorbed.
- 11Continue incorporating butter until sauce has thickened to consistency desired.
- 12Season with salt, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon and, if desired, pepper.
- 13Add a few droplets of lemon juice if necessary.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha Stewart's Bearnaise Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1037.2
- Calories from Fat 952
- Total Fat 105.7 g
- Saturated Fat 63.2 g
- Cholesterol 797.3 mg
- Sodium 44.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: