1/5 Photos of Martha Stewart's Baked Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I make this regularly. I just wanted to have this on hand. NOTE: I use more egg and bread crumbs than suggested
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil, for baking sheets
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- coarse salt
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (2 1/2 pounds total)
- 6 cups store-bought chunky tomato sauce (see recipe below) or 6 cups homemade chunky tomato sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F
- 2Brush 2 baking sheets with oil; set aside.
- 3In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water.
- 4In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
- 5Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well; place on baking sheets.
- 6Bake until golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 7Turn slices; continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- 8Remove from oven; raise oven heat to 400°F.
- 9Spread 2 cups sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- 10Arrange half the eggplant in dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- 11Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- 12Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 13Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 14Note: To make Chunky Tomato Sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- 15Cook 1 small diced onion and 2 minced garlic cloves, stirring frequently, until translucent, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 16Crush 2 cans whole tomatoes (28 ounces each) into pan; add 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano.
- 17Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- 18Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha Stewart's Baked Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.0
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.4 mg
- Sodium 1351.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 15.4 g