Cook1 hr 10 mins
I make this regularly. I just wanted to have this on hand. NOTE: I use more egg and bread crumbs than suggested
- olive oil, for baking sheets
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- coarse salt
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (2 1/2 pounds total)
- 6 cups store-bought chunky tomato sauce (see recipe below) or 6 cups homemade chunky tomato sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush 2 baking sheets with oil; set aside.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water.
- In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well; place on baking sheets.
- Bake until golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn slices; continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Remove from oven; raise oven heat to 400°F.
- Spread 2 cups sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange half the eggplant in dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: To make Chunky Tomato Sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook 1 small diced onion and 2 minced garlic cloves, stirring frequently, until translucent, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Crush 2 cans whole tomatoes (28 ounces each) into pan; add 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.