Recipe by Shar-on
Found this recipe on Martha Stewart's website and noticed it was a little different than ones posted on Zaar.
Top Review by Chef Buggsy Mate
These make a tasty cookie but they are VERY sweet. The dough is very oily feeling when you work with it...much different from the cookie doughs I am used to. I will keep this recipe in my cookie file though as they will make a nice addition to my usual cookie tray. Made as a thank you for the Holy Springs Fire Department.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Line baking pans with parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,combine flour, oats, sugar and coconut and set aside.
- Over medium heat melt butter with syrup.
- Boil water and dissolved soda in it.
- Carefully add butter mix to the soda mix-- Watch!
- butter is hot and will bubble up.
- Mix butter mixture with the dry ingredients, stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Divide this dough into three and each third into 12: this way you will get even sized cookies.
- Then make firm balls and place on prepared cookie sheets, pressing each ball down with the heel of hand.
- Bake at 350 degF for about 15 minutes, until golden brown and firm but not hard.
- Transfer to cooling racks.