Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a great meatloaf. I'm surprised it hasn't already been posted yet. The only thing I like better than meat loaf is meatloaf sandwiches, and this meatloaf is even better the next day; sliced between whole wheat bread, topped with a slice of cheese, and lots of mayo. Note: I omitted the veal and adjusted the amount of beef and pork to compensate--it was still great.
- 3 slice white bread (crust removed)
- 236.59 ml carrot (shredded)
- 1 celery rib (minced)
- 118.29 ml onion (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 9.85 ml dry mustard
- 226.79 g ground round
- 226.79 g ground pork
- 226.79 g ground veal
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground pepper
- 4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- 2.46 ml rosemary (chopped)
- 44.37 ml ketchup
- 12.32 ml dry mustard
- 29.58 ml dark brown sugar
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml red onion (cut in rings)
- 44.37 ml water
- 14.79 ml rosemary (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Process or crumble the bread and combine with the minced vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix the meat, eggs and seasonings together in a bowl. Knead until thoroughly combined. Add meat mixture to the crumbs/veggie mixture. Combine, but don't over mix.
- Set a wire rack over an 11 x 17 baking pan. Cut a 5 x 11 piece of parchment paper and place it on the rack.
- Form the meat mixture into and elongated loaf on the parchment paper.
- Mix the next 3 ingredients together and baste the loaf--set aside.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion rings. When soft and golden in places, add water and cook until most of the water evaporates. Garnish the loaf with the onion rings.
- Bake 30 minutes, then sprinkle rosemary needles on top. Continue baking for another 25 minutes. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before serving.
I have been making this meatloaf for years, from Martha Stewart's "Comfort Food" cook book. There is one item you didn't list in ingredients, 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley. It does add more to this meatloaf. I always make extra of the glaze and onions to go on top too. This meatloaf makes other meatloaf recipes so boring. Always a crowd pleaser!
I have made this recipe a few times....but I cut out the red onion garnish, and cut back the carrots to a half cup. I have made it with pork, beef and ground moose.....so delicious.
At my vacation home w/o my favorite meatloaf recipe. Found this one and loved it! Bringing it into line with my fav, and using what I had on hand, substituted pork flavored stuffing for the bread, added 1/2 minced fresh pear (no carrots), my own bbq sauce instead of ketchup and used 16 oz turkey, 16 oz pork and 8 oz beef (or so-whatever was avail pre-packaged at the store). Used 1 tablespoon Stubbs Wing Sauce for the tabasco and made into 4 small loaves. Smoked those puppies for 2 hrs, added glaze and smoked for another 30 mins. To Die For.