Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have to admit, I was a bit wary of this one. But because it was so different, I had to try it. It is a Martha Stewart recipe that makes for a quick, easy, delicious dinner. We have it about every other week.
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 large eggs
- 4 pieces toast
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Transfer tomatoes and their juices to the jar of a blender. Blend until tomatoes are coarsely chopped; set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Gently crack eggs into tomato mixture, cover, and let cook 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, uncover, and let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer each egg to a piece of toast. Spoon over sauce, garnish with cheese, and season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.