Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
These are delightful icebox cookies..
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, for rolling
- Place almonds and confectioners sugar in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, set aside.
- Place butter and zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- On low, add almond mixture, beat until combined. 10-15 seconds. Add egg and orange juice, combined. Add flour, combine.
- Place 2 12x 16" of parchment on a clean work surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Form a rough log with each half. place on parchment.
- Fold parchment over dough, use a ruler to roll and press dough into 1 1/2" diameter logs.
- Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Spread sanding sugar in a jelly roll pan and unwrap logs and roll in sugar to coat.
- Cut into scant 1/4" rounds, place on sheets, 1" apart.
- Bake until edges are golden, about 15 minutes.rotating halfway through.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Bake or freeze remaining dough.
- Store baked cookies in a air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
correction to my review, it should of been 5 Stars
This is the second year that I made these cookies. Lastyear I did the variation where you rolled into candied ginger. This year I'm rolling into sanding sugar. Very delicious cookies a nice cookie with a cup of tea.