1/1 Photo of Martha Stewart Coca Cola Ham (Adapted for Lazy People)
1 hr 41 mins
1 hr 18 mins
Jessica T's Note:
While watching Martha and her friend Jane prepare this ham for Easter a few years ago, I adapted the recipe slightly and now just eyeball the ingredients and make it with whatever I have on hand. I made it for a potluck with Dr. Pepper, forgot to baste it, dumped cloves randomly in it, and it still turned out great. Mostly foolproof, which is good for foolish college students and klutzy cooks alike. I am posting this mostly for my own reference, so I don't have to go hunting for a handwritten note every time I make this. I'm guessing at the yield, but it was enough to serve several (5-6) at a small potluck. I serve it throughout the year for special occasions, not just Easter. Steps 1-11 are for the regular way; Steps 12-18 are for the lazy adaptation of this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -7 lb) ham (do not use a spiral-glazed ham or it will tend to dry out faster. Rind is up to you.)
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can Coca-Cola
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple rings
- 1 cup Manishevitz wine (sweet concord grape wine)
- 10 -12 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1/2 ounce whole cloves (1 small container)
- 1Preheat oven to 325.
- 2Score the ham crosswise and lengthwise, forming a crosshatch/square-cut patter about 1/4 inches deep and 1 inch apart. Place a clove in the intersection of each square.
- 3Place ham in an aluminum roasting pan that you have placed on a baking/cookie sheet (for stability).
- 4Load the ham with sugar. Use the whole pack and just glom it on. Some sugar will fall off, but keep on packing.
- 5Bake until sugar just begins to melt (20-30 min).
- 6Remove ham, pour Coca-Cola all over the ham, and baste the ham with the sugar mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- 7Bake for another 20 minutes.
- 8Combine 1 cup of pineapple juice and wine, and baste the ham.
- 9Bake the ham for about 15 minutes per pound, basting every 20 minutes with the juices.
- 10During the last 20 minutes, decorate ham with pineapple rings. Use toothpicks to hold the rings in place, and put a cherry in the center of each ring with a toothpick.
- 11Prior to serving, remove all toothpicks.
- 12The extremely lazy way:.
- 13Pack the brown sugar on the ham.
- 14Pour the Coke and Wine mixture liberally on the ham.
- 15Forget about the pineapples and cherries, unless you really want pineapple, in which case, stick them randomly on the ham.
- 16Stuff it in the oven and baste every 20 minutes.
- 17Cover with aluminium foil after the first basting.
- 18Use a meat thermometer to tell when it's done, and serve.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha Stewart Coca Cola Ham (Adapted for Lazy People)
Serving Size: 1 (2615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4098.0
- Calories from Fat 731
- Total Fat 81.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 708.8 mg
- Sodium 20845.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 538.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 510.1 g
- Protein 308.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: