24 hrs 10 mins
This is another of her cookies from a holiday issue in 2001. Melts in your mouth good..a nice twist to a gingerbread cookie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
- 7 ounces best quality semisweet chocolate, chunked
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2In a medium bowl, sift together, flour, ginger,cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa.
- 3In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and ginger on medium speed until lightened, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add brown sugar,beat until combined. Add molasses, beat until combined.
- 5In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- 6Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture.
- 7Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining flour mixture.
- 8Mix in chocolate, turn into plastic wrap.
- 9Pat out to 1" thickness, seal with wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- 10Preheat oven to 325*.
- 11Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls, place 2" apart on baking sheets.
- 12Chill 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar.
- 13Bake until surface just begins to crack, 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- 14Let cool 5 minutes.
- 15Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha Stewart Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (869 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1832.1
- Calories from Fat 897
- Total Fat 99.7 g
- Saturated Fat 61.8 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 716.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 250.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.2 g
- Sugars 126.1 g
- Protein 24.3 g