Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is another of her cookies from a holiday issue in 2001. Melts in your mouth good..a nice twist to a gingerbread cookie
- 1 1⁄2 cups tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons boiling water
- 7 ounces best quality semisweet chocolate, chunked
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together, flour, ginger,cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and ginger on medium speed until lightened, about 4 minutes.
- Add brown sugar,beat until combined. Add molasses, beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining flour mixture.
- Mix in chocolate, turn into plastic wrap.
- Pat out to 1" thickness, seal with wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls, place 2" apart on baking sheets.
- Chill 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake until surface just begins to crack, 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
This is a truly OUTSTANDING cookie! It's the first Martha Stewart recipe I've made and it really is "to die for". I made it for Christmas sharing and chose to keep all the cookies! :) I didn't have fresh ginger so used 1 tbsp of crystallized ginger and it worked great. Also, I used regular chocolate chips instead of chunked semisweet chocolate and that, too, works fine as a substitution. I was just munching on these this morning and think I'll be making another batch. Soft, chewy, sweet and tasty - just the right amount of spices! Yum - definitely a keeper for me.